Friday, January 25, 2013

Looking Back...

A few weeks ago, all of the bloggers were posting reflections of their life in 2012. We had a big year in 2012 with so many changes that I couldn't even count them up if I wanted to. Rather than a reflection of 2012, I'd like to reflect on the last six months of our lives.
Today marks six months since we left the USA to begin life in the United Kingdom. Luke and I have learned new ways to live individually and as a couple. We have adjusted to the new norm easily and also not-so-easily. Here are a few of the major changes we have made:

1.) Driving - For the most part, we can drive. Driving on the left side of the road and in the right side of the car took getting used to for sure, but now it feels normal. And frankly, I'm terrified to attempt to drive the "correct" way.
2.) Exercise - We have learned to jog on hilly roads, in rain or shine, and in cold or... cold. We have learned a new style of exercise called hiking. It is one of our favorite activities that allows us to see some of the most beautiful places in this country.
3.) From DINK to SINK (aka Single Income, No Kids) - We have adjusted and compromised as to how each of us will contribute to this family. It took some major getting used to, but I think we make a perfect team!
4.) Housewife - This had to be a separate point from above... I have learned to cook. And I think I am a pretty good one too! I try new recipes every week. Luke told me that he cant pin-point a favorite because I don't cook things more than once... and I hope that is the reason why he can't tell me a favorite?? I have learned how to use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit in the oven and also use a gas stove. It is now a habit to clean rather than like pulling teeth. I also have figured out how to speed up the laundry process!
5.) Weather - We have learned that once you "get out there", it isn't as bad as it seems. It may look miserable, but it is all about the clothing. Winter has only begun in Aberdeen and its pretty brutal. The wind is strong, the air is cold, the ground gets icy, and it is really difficult to drive. I have experienced traction problems a few times to where I am almost stuck, and it has got me staying at home until I feel safe.
6.) Boiler - We are still working out the most efficient way to keep our house warm without it costing us an arm and leg. I am not sure it is even possible, we are trying different things to see which is the least costly.

7.) Walking - We are loving the location of our home! It is only a mile from the city center, so we are able to walk to wherever we are going out to on the weekends. We are only a little over a mile from the big grocery stores and our gym. We walk to most of our friends' houses. So easy to be safe!


With all of those changes, we have had some fantastic moments! Here are some of my favorites:

1.) Traveling - We have seen some amazing cities and towns in just six months. We are so thankful and blessed to have been given this opportunity that allows us to see different parts of the world!





2.) Friends - We have made some of the best friends in Aberdeen. Who knew that across the world you could find people that have similar interests as you? They are amazing, and life here definitely would not be the same! So thankful for each and every one of you!!

3.) Hiking - We had only done one hiking adventure before arriving in Scotland, and now it is the thing to do. Would it be the same anywhere else though?


4.) Snow - Although it is a pain after it's done, it still gives me goosebumps each time I watch it come down. It is like Disney World... so magical!

We are doing well over here, but we do miss our family and friends! We cannot wait to come back to Texas and Louisiana in May. Crawfish & Mexican food - we're coming for you!!

RANDOM FACT:
Pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon in the United Kingdom.

-Debbie-

1 comment:

  1. Happy 1/2 Birthday as an expat!! Loved looking at your reflection of the last 6 months. So thankful your assignment landed your here, really not sure what we would do with out Debbie and Luke!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...